Professor Abdur Rasjid Skinner
Consultant Clinical Psychologist.
BA(Dunelm), MSc, FRAI, C Psychol, AFBPsS
BSc (Hons) Dip Counselling
|Al Balagh Credits||30|
|Starting Date:||11th January|
|Live Session Timings:||
|Effort:||2 – 5 Hours / Week|
|Mode:||Online (Live and Interactive )|
|Video Recordings:||Yes ( Available within 48hrs After the Live Session )|
Duration – 10 Weeks
Professional Admin and IT Support
Live Sessions Every Saturday (2-4 PM GMT)
9 Live Sessions (One / Week)
Online Assessments (Optional)
24 / 7 Access to Video Recordings and Online Learning Materials
Live Q & A
1. Introduction to the Course and an Overview of Islamic Psychology and Counselling
- Distinguishing between the Western and Islamic Paradigms of Psychology
- The origins of Islamic Psychology
- Identify therapeutic aims and objectives of Islamic Psychology/Counselling
- Describing the therapeutic relationship from an Islamic perspective
2. Islamic Psychology: The Islamic Model of the Self
- Key concepts in relation to the Islamic Model of the Self
- Key dynamics and shifts in the soul
- The art of diagnosis from an Islamic Perspective
3. How to work with people within an Islamic Framework
- Role of the therapist
- Applying Islamic psychological principles in diagnosis and treatment using case studies
- How practitioners can gain a better awareness and further clinical insight on how to work within an Islamic framework
- How to form a therapy treatment plan while working with clients
- How to provide practical support and signposting opportunities for practitioners working with clients and the community Muslim and Non-Muslim.
4. Counselling and listening skills: Active Listening and Empathy
- Active Listening
- Non-Verbal Communication
- Non-Judgemental/Unconditional positive regard within an Islamic framework
5. Anger Management
- Understanding Anger within an Islamic model of the self
- Anger Management from the Sunnah/Coping strategies
- Underlying Reasons for Anger
- Understanding the Cycle of Arousal
- Early intervention using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Understanding when Formal Therapeutic Interventions are required
- Implementing a Mentorship Programme in Schools and Madrasas.
6. Stress, Anxiety and Depression
- Understanding Stress, Anxiety and Depression from an Islamic perspective
- Understanding difficulties in the context of our meaning and purpose in life
- The Impact of the Environment and Society
- Sleep, Diet
- Technology and our Mental Health
- The role of Salah, Dhikr
- How to be a supportive friend?
- Formal Therapeutic Interventions
7. Jinn and Black magic
- Role of Jinn and Black Magic in contributing to Psychological Distress
- Impact of Culture
- Protection from Jinn and Black Magic
- Therapy with the Unseen: Case studies
8. Marriage and Family Issues
- The Islamic view on M
- Marriage in a sexualised society
- Rights and responsibilities of the husband and wife
- Changing perceptions in relation to married life
- Culture: East meets West
- Challenges of parenting in the modern world
- Managing conflicts within families
9. Pregnancy, Miscarriage, Postnatal Depression
- The hope of pregnancy
- The blessings during pregnancy
- Key concepts in the Islamic tradition as tools
- Miscarriage and the different types
- Grief, Loss
andBereavement of infant loss
The Islamic Psychology and Counselling course has been designed by leading Muslim Psychological Therapists who have a keen understanding of the primary psychological challenges faced by our diverse Muslim Communities.
The course covers the following topics that will enable one to develop a comprehensive understanding of the mental health challenges faced by the Muslim community, from an Islamic perspective.
- Introduction to Islamic Counselling & overview of Islamic Psychology
- Islamic Psychology: The Islamic Model of the Self
- How to work with clients within an Islamic Framework
- Counselling & Listening Skills; Active Listening & Empathy
- Anger Management
- Stress, Anxiety & Depression
- Jinn & Black Magic
- Marriage and Family Issues
- Pregnancy, Miscarriage & Postnatal Depression
Main Aims and Objectives
The course aims to provide an introduction to Islamic Psychology and an understanding of a wide variety of psychological difficulties within an Islamic framework. The course aims to support the development of skills in the wider Muslim community to enable the adequate provision of support to individuals in psychological distress. The course will help orientate to the philosophy and methodology of psychology from an Islamic perspective. The course will present a faith-based theoretical understanding of psychological well-being and support the development of good
Students will be able to:
- Identify and describe the Islamic model of the self.
- Distinguish culturally relative factors from universal factors in Western Psychology.
- Describe the therapeutic relationship from an Islamic perspective.
counsellingskills within an Islamic framework in supporting people with psychological distress
- Understand the management of a wide variety of psychological difficulties including anger, anxiety,
anddepression from an Islamic Perspective Recognisethe role of Jinn disturbance and black magic in relation to psychological distress
- Understanding Islamic psychological principles in helping those in distress, using case studies.
- To provide a forum and interpersonal contact between the Muslim public, Psychologists, psychotherapists,
counsellorsand Muslim Scholars (Ulamaa) and other expert academics, in order to build a network of support and resource for the future.
Course Content and Format
The Islamic Counselling and Psychology Level 1 course is designed for professionals and non-professionals who support people to maintain their spiritual and psychological well-being in the community. This initial course at Level 1 will hence assume limited prior knowledge about the topics discussed. Hence the course is for anyone who is looking forward to developing their skills and knowledge in psychologically supporting people in the community from an Islamic perspective. The course is suitable for a wide variety of people including Ulama, Imams, teachers, community workers, support workers, youth workers and psychological therapists.
It is envisaged following the completion and review of the Level 1 course, Level 2 and 3 courses will be developed to meet the needs of the delegates in developing their knowledge and skills. Furthermore, Level 2 and 3 courses will be more suited for professional psychological therapists, with in-depth theoretical discussions and greater exploration of complex case studies.
By the end of this unique course, the students will:
- Gain knowledge and practical skills that will enable them to become better informed about Islamic Psychology and psychological distress within an Islamic framework.
- Develop skills in working with those in distress within an Islamic framework.
- Understand where people may require specialist intervention and support.
- Have the opportunity to discuss challenging questions with a team who have a wide range of expertise in the field.
1. How is this online course structured?
Our online program comprises enriched learning sessions, engaging, on-demand live and recorded video lessons. Our course is innovatively divided into different modules and sub models. The learners can ask questions, get their doubts cleared if they have any. You can get support from our course instructors or academic support team during live sessions or even after the sessions as needed.
2. How I will get printed certificate?
Right after successful completion of the course and assessment, you can expect to get the certificate from Al Balagh Academy. Your certificate will be emailed to you. You can get it printed or shared with your friends.
3. What do you mean by 1-to-1 Mentor Support?
We understand you may need personalised support from the mentor. Therefore, we are facilitating one-to-one mentor support to ensure your personal and professional growth. Your personal mentor will be helping you through out the course with understanding more about anything related to the course. You may contact him by Email, Whatsapp or book an appointment and meet him online.
4. Is it compulsory to attend LIVE sessions? Will it be count towards the progress of my course?
We always encourage that you should attend LIVE sessions but if, in any case, you miss attending one of the sessions then you can always have access to the recorded session (Yes, you will receive recorded video of the LIVE session you have missed).
5. When will I have access to the online course material?
Right after successful enrolment, you will get access to myAlbalagh which is our online learning portal where you can get access to the pre-course material. The course content will be released gradually after starting the course.
6. When will LIVE sessions be scheduled?
Date, Day, and Time for each LIVE session will always be pre-scheduled. To know more about the schedule on live sessions, please, visit “myAlbalagh” and click on the tab “Schedule.” You will get complete details.
7. What if I am not able to attend LIVE sessions?
If, in any case, you miss attending LIVE session, you can catch up by watching the video recordings later at your convenient time. To get access to the video recordings, you should visit “myAlbalagh” by using your sign-in details. You can get access to “myAlbalagh” through your laptop, desktop or from your mobile.
8. What if I have questions to ask but can’t attend Live?
Please, get access to “myAlbalagh” and reach “Discussion Board.” It is this place where you can ask questions, discuss and get your doubts cleared. Our support staff will take your queries forward and get answers for you from your course instructors.
9. How do I interact with my classmates?
You can use “Discussion Board” to get connected to other course learners as well. But we recommend that the discussion here on “Discussion Board” shall be relevant only to the course being taken. Strictly, no personal discussions or chatting. You can also interact with your classmates in our “Whatsapp Group” exclusive for the course students.
10. How long will I have access to the online program?
You will have access to the online course content up to 2 years. Please contact our admin team by Email at [email protected] if you want lifetime access.
11. Are family/group discounts available?
Yes, we provide discount for groups or families who are interested in joining one of our courses. Please, email us to get complete details on it.
12. I am having trouble signing into my private member portal. What should I do?
In case, if you find any trouble accessing your account then please, contact us immediately. We make sure that your problem gets resolved at the earliest.
Email: [email protected]
Whatsapp :Live Chat Support (9 AM TO 9 PM GMT)
Mobile (9 AM TO 9 PM GMT):
Learn More About Our Courses?
Discuss your opinion with one of our friendly advisers