The Qur’an and Modern Science
About the Course
The “Qur’an and Modern Science” course has been designed and developed with the purpose to explore the relationship between the Qur’an and the Modern Scientific methodology. It will provide students with an accurate reflection and understanding of the Qur’an. It will explore the reliability of science as a tool to assess the divine nature of the Qur’an and whether it can be used to comment on the Qur’an or its divine origin. The course will provide a profound analysis of arguments, counter-arguments and the various discourses which are relative to science. Students will be able to analyse the extent to which it is right to justify, acknowledge, support or refuse proposed theories in light of the Qur’an and Qur’anic exegesis.
Shaykh Dr. Rafaqat Rashid
(Academic Director, Al Balagh Academy)
Dr. Mohammed Basil Altaie
(Quantum Cosmology at Yarmouk University)
Shaykh Usman Ali
(Senior Specialist Biomedical Scientist)
Ustadh Hamza Andreas Tzortzis
(Author of “The Divine Reality”. PG.Cert and MA Philosophy. Research Student)
Ustadh Sharif Randhawa
(MA Center for Middle Eastern Studies, University of Chicago)
Dr. Shoaib Ahmed Malik
(Assistant Professor of Natural Sciences Zayed University, Dubai)
1. Quran and Modern Science
- Understanding the Nature of Science
- A Brief History of Science
- The Foundation of Science – Key Principles
- The Scientific Method
- Understanding the Purpose of the Quran
- The Quranic Method
- Key Principles in Quranic Exegesis
- Different Views on the Scientific Explanation of the Qur’an
- The Modernists
- The Advocates
- The Rejectionists
- The Moderates
2. Scientific Miracles in the Quran - Key Concerns
- Quran and Science – Compatible or Incompatible?
- Does the Quran Contain Scientific Miracles?
- Muslim Apologist Narrative on Scientific Miracles
- The Scientific Miracles Narrative – Key Concerns
- How to Reconcile and Discuss Science in the Quran
- Scientism, the Problem of Induction and Empiricism
- A New Approach
- Scientists on the Quran
3. Quranic Verses and Scientific Criticism
- The Nature and the Purpose of the Quran
- Claims about “Unscientific Verses” and “Scientific Errors in the Quran” – A Critical Analysis
- How to Deconstruct these Unscientific Claims?
- Religious Scientism – Should we Force Scientific Meanings onto the Quran?
- Balancing between Scientific Criticism and Religious Scientism
4. The Big Bang Theory and the Quran
- Cosmological Principles – An Overview
- Quranic Verses related to the Creation Of the Universe
- Various Cosmologies in the history of Islamic thought
- Is the “Big Bang” Theory Mentioned in the Quran?
- Does the Quran Support the Expanding or Static Universe?
- How should we go about discussing findings in physics/cosmology and the Quran?
5. Quranic Verses and Astronomy
- Astronomy: Key Principles
- Quranic Verses
- The Sun and Moon.
- Stars and Planets
- The Day and Night
- The Solar Apex
- Is There a Conflict between the Quran and New Astronomical Discoveries?
- The Way Forward
6. Quran and Creation - Fakhr al-Razi's Perspective
- Creation of heavens and the earth
- Creation and the Origin of Man
- Act of Creation – ex nihilo, immediate, and at one stroke?
7. Quranic Verses: Geology and Biology
- Quranic Verses: New Geological Discoveries
- Quranic Verses on Water Cycle
- Quranic Verses about Mountains
- Quran and New Biological Discoveries
- Quranic Verses related to Botany
- Quranic Verses related to Physiology
8. Human Embryology and The Noble Quran
- The Way Forward
9. Quranic Historical Records and Modern Science
- The accuracy of Historical Records in the Qur’an
- Quran and Modern Archaeological Discoveries
- The Claims of the Historical Errors in the Quran
- Key Concerns
- The Way Forward
10. The Bible, The Quran and Science – A Comparative Study
- Dr. Maurice Bucaille and His Book – An Overview
- Quranic and Biblical Narrations
- The Concept of Creation
- Age of the Earth
- The Flood
- The Pharaoh
- Key Concerns
- The Quranic Position
11. Quran and Modern Science – Resolving the Mystery of the Universe
- Who Has Created the Universe?
- What is the Purpose of Our Life?
- What will happen after Our Death?
- The Questions Unresolved by Science
- The Quranic Answers
12. Quran and Modern Science - Contemporary Issues and Challenges
- Contemporary Issues in Muslim Education Sector
- Teaching Science and the Quran – How to Reconcile or Discuss Science in the Quran?
- Teaching Evolution or Big Bang Theories – Key Issues
- How to Address Concerns regarding Muslim Youth
- Practical Guidelines for Sharia Scholars and Imams – How to Interpret the Quranic Verses relevant to the Scientific Fields?
- Practical Guidelines for Parents, Teachers and Muslim Leaders
- Muslim Scientists, Sharia Scholars and Academics – How to Build a Platform
2.A Brief History of Science
3.The Foundation of Science – Key Principles
4.The Scientific Method
5.Understanding the Purpose of the Quran
6.The Quranic Method
7.Different Views on the Scientific Explanation of the Qur’an.
2.Does the Quran Contain Scientific Miracles?
3.Muslim Apologist Narrative on Scientific Miracles
4.The Scientific Miracles Narrative – Key Concerns
5.How to Reconcile and Discuss Science in the Quran
6.Scientism, the Problem of Induction and Empiricism
7.A New Approach
8.Scientists on the Quran
2.Claims about “Unscientific Verses” and “Scientific Errors in the Quran” – A Critical Analysis
3.How to Deconstruct these Unscientific Claims?
4.Religious Scientism – Should we Force Scientific Meanings onto the Quran?
5.Balancing between Scientific Criticism and Religious Scientism
2.Quranic Verses related to the Creation Of the Universe
3.Various Cosmologies in the history of Islamic thought
4.Is the “Big Bang” Theory Mentioned in the Quran?
5.Does the Quran Support the Expanding or Static Universe?
6.How should we go about discussing findings in physics/cosmology and the Quran?
3.The Sun and Moon, Stars and Planets, Orbits, The Day and Night, The Solar Apex
4.Is There a Conflict between the Quran and New Astronomical Discoveries?
6.The Way Forward
2.Creation and the Origin of Man
3.Act of Creation – ex nihilo, immediate, and at one stroke?
2.Quranic Verses on Water Cycle
3.Quranic Verses about Mountains
4.Quran and New Biological Discoveries
5.Quranic Verses related to Botany
6.Quranic Verses related to Physiology
5.The Way Forward
2.Quran and Modern Archaeological Discoveries
3.The Claims of the Historical Errors in the Quran
5.The Way Forward
2.Quranic and Biblical Narrations -The Concept of Creation ,Age of the Earth ,The Flood ,The Pharaoh
4.The Quranic Position
2.What is the Purpose of Our Life?
3.What will happen after Our Death?
4.The Questions Unresolved by Science
5.The Quranic Answers
2.Teaching Science and the Quran – How to Reconcile or Discuss Science in the Quran?
3.Teaching Evolution or Big Bang Theories – Key Issues
4.How to Address Concerns regarding Muslim Youth
5.Practical Guidelines for Sharia Scholars and Imams – How to Interpret the Quranic Verses relevant to the Scientific Fields?
6.Practical Guidelines for Parents, Teachers and Muslim Leaders
7.Muslim Scientists, Sharia Scholars and Academics – How to Build a Platform
The Quran and Modern Science course meticulously prepared for those who would like to explore, analyse and compare the plethora of scientific discoveries in light of the Quran. The course will further examine the nature of the Quran’s divine origin, modern scientific criticisms and contemporary debates on Qur’anic exegesis (Tafsir). This will be conducted with respect to debates on science in the Quran, including ideas such as: the Big Bang Theory, Creationism, the theory of Evolution and further a wide scope of apparent scientific assertions within the Quran. The course will cover various sciences including but not limited to: Astronomy, Physics, Geography, Oceanography, Biology, Botany, Zoology, Physiology and Embryology. The course has been designed in a way that it will equip the students and learners with valuable insights into the contemporary scientific debates about the Quran. Students will be able to identify and explain the accurate Quranic interpretation methods and thus be provide with a solid base for further studies and exploration.
The course will effectively engage in ideas that surround the doubts which often arise due to modern scientific developments. Although Scientific discoveries that support the Quran are discussed, the course will also address the fundamental question: “Should we use science to justify the Quran?”
On completion of this module, the students will be able to:
- Develop a distinct understanding of the compatibility between the Quran and Modern Science.
- Examine the use of Science in Quranic exegesis in light of the experts of the field of exegesis (Tafsir)
- Analyse key scientific discoveries such as the Big bang, Evolution and various other theories or discoveries in the light of the Quran or Islamic viewpoint.
- Compare and evaluate criticism held by Scientists and Modern Theologists on Quran and learn how to deconstruct their claims in an academic manner.
- Demonstrate an ability to identify contemporary issues related to the Quran and Modern Science and explain how to reconcile and discuss Science in the Quran.