Shaikh Yunus Dudhwala
The Chair of the Halal Monitoring Committee (HMC)
Mufti Zubair Butt
Senior Advisor on Islamic law at the Institute of Islamic Jurisprudence, Bradford
Professor Dr. Russly A. Rahman
Director Halal Products Research Institute, University Putra Malaysia (UPM)
Mufti Sarfraz Mohammed (Birmingham)
Shariah Consultant for the Halal Monitoring Committee (UK)
Shaykh Hamzah wald Maqbul
HFSAA Shariah Advisor, USA
Mufti Syed Waliullah Abrar Qasmi
Duration – 4+ Months
Professional Admin and IT Support
Live Sessions Every Saturday
12 Live Sessions ( One / Week)
24 / 7 Access to Video Recordings and Online Learning Materials
Live Q & A
1. Concept of “Halalan Tayyiban”
- Definitions of Halal, Haram and S
- The Classifications of Halal and Haram Food in Islam
- The Sources of Islamic Law
- The Principles of Halal and Haram in Islam
- The Objectives of Shari’ah
2. Food Additives in Food Processing
- Sources of Food Additives
- Food Additives
- Identification of Food Additives in the Food Processing Industry
- How to Identify E-numbers?
- Gelatine and How to Identify?
- Alcohol Including Ethanol
- Function of Food Additives
- Applications of Food additives in Food Processing
3. Halal and Haram Ingredients in Food Processing
- Categories of Ingredients
- Processing of Halal Food
- Non-Halal Ingredients: Porcine Ingredients & Its Derivatives
- Other Non-Halal Ingredients (Carrion, Blood & Human parts)
- Insect Based Ingredients
- Contaminants (Najs) and Cleansing
- Islamic Position on Gelatine, Collagen and Shellac.
- Islamic Ruling on Using Alcohol Including Ethanol
- Islamic Perspective on Genetically Modified Food ( GMF)
4. Halal Slaughtering Process
- Definition of Slaughtering
- Requirements of Slaughtering
- Correct Slaughtering Procedures From an Islamic Perspective
- Eating Meat Slaughtered by a Jew or a Christian?
5. Contemporary Issues in Halal Meat
- Contemporary Slaughterhouses – An Introduction
- Use of Stunning in Slaughtering
- Mechanical Stunning
- Electrical Stunning
- Chemical Stunning (gas)
- Pneumatic Stunning
- Is Stunning Animals Really Humane?
- Islamic Position on Stunning
- Corrupt Practices in Slaughterhouses
- How to Implement the Correct Slaughtering Procedures?
- Intensive Farming
- Halal Slaughter Controversy
- Animal Welfare and Islam
6. Halal and Haram Medicine
- Medicinal Ingredients – An Islamic Perspective
- The Fiqh of Using Unlawful (Haram) Medication
- Conditions of Permissibility and Dispensation
- Ingredients in Medicine and Pharmaceutical Products
- Active Ingredients and Inactive Ingredients – An Overview
- Discussion around Using Gelatin (Porcine/Cow) in Medication
- Islamic Ruling on Using Alcohol (ethanol) in Medication
- Islamic Rulings on Rotarix, Fluenze and Other Vaccines Containing Haram Ingredients
- The Red, The Green and The Grey List
- Islamic Guidelines for Muslim Pharmacists.
7. Halal and Haram Cosmetics
- Cosmetic and Personal Care Products from Islamic Perspective
- Identifying Haram Ingredients in Cosmetics
- Oral Intake and External Application?
- Using Lipstick, Creams, Fragrance and Foundations
- Certification Bodies and References
8. Key Sharia Issues in Halal Food Supply Chain
- Contemporary Sharia Issues in Food Processing Plants
- Contemporary Shariah Issues in handling, Storage and Transportation.
- Key Shariah Issues in Import and Export of Halal Food.
- Meat Handled, Processed, Packed and Transported by Non-Muslims?
- Imported Meat and Poultry From the Western Countries or Non-Muslim Companies?
- Sharia Guidelines on Handling and Storage of Halal Food.
9. Halal Food and Halal Certification
- Halal Food Chain
- Halal Standards (MS 1500:2009) – Malaysian Case Study
- Food Quality
- ISO 9000
- GMP – Good Manufacturing Practice
- HACCP – Hazard Analysis Critical ?
- Control Points
- Halal Quality Systems – Control, Integrity, Certification and Standardization
- HMC (Halal Monitoring Committee) Certification- How it works?
- Halal Food Inspection
10. An Overview of Current Technologies
- Halal Traceability and Authentication – An Overview
- Methods Validation for Halal Authentication
- FTIR Spectroscopy
- Electronic Nose
- Vapor Print TM
- Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC)
- Molecular Biology Techniques
- Conventional Food Processing Technologies – An Overview
- Thermal Processing
- Low Temperature Processing
- Determination of Thermal Processing Adequacy
- Hurdle Technology
- Emerging or Non-Conventional Food Processing Technology
- Non-thermal Processing Technologies
- Innovative Packaging
- Current Issues in Halal and Haram food Production
- Global Halal Issues
- Challenges of Compliance for Halal and Quality Requirements
11. Islamic Guideline for Food Consumers
- Meat and Non-Meat – An Overview
- Buying Meat and Poultry from Non-Certified Sources?
- Halal Certification vs Oral Testimonial
- Packaged and Non–Packaged Food – An Overview
- Buying Ready-Made Meals or Frozen Packed or Canned Consumables?
- Islamic Guideline for Eating at Restaurants and Hotels
- Eating at McDonald, Pizzahut, KFC and Western Restaurants? How to Verify The Halal Status of The Food?
12. Islamic Guideline for Food Industry
- Food Industry- General Islamic Guidelines
- Halal Food Production Line- Issues and Challenges
- Islamic Guidelines for Slaughterhouses
- Islamic Guidelines for Processing Plants
- Islamic Guidelines on Handling, Packaging, Storage and Transportation
- Islamic Guideline on Importing/Exporting Halal Food.
- Islamic Guideline for Wholesalers, Retailers and Brands That Market Halal products.
- Islamic Guideline for Food Outlets ( Butchers, Restaurants, Takeaways etc)
- Islamic Guideline for Kitchen and Restaurant Management.
- Setting up McDonald, KFC Franchise from Islamic Perspective?
The course provides students with an in-depth understanding of Islamic rulings related to Halal and Haram Food in contemporary context. The course will cover everything from the fundamentals of Islamic dietary Laws to contemporary issues and challenges facing Muslim communities arising from the Halal food industry. The course will examine the subjects such as food additives in food processing, Halal and Haram ingredients, Halal slaughtering process, Halal and Haram medicine, Halal cosmetics and Halal certification. The course will enable students to engage with and respond to contemporary issues and challenges facing Muslim communities arising from a multicultural and multi-faith society and guide them to consume genuine Halal food.
- Concept of “Halalan Tayyibun”
- Food Additives in Food Processing
- Halal and Haram Ingredients in Food Processing
- Halal Slaughtering Process
- Contemporary Issues in Halal Meat
- Halal and Haram Medicine
- Halal and Haram Cosmetics
- Halal Certification and Quality Assurance : How it works?
- Current Food Processing Technologies and Halal Authentication Methods -An Overview
- Islamic Guideline for Food Consumers
- Islamic Guideline for Food Industry
Course Aims and Objectives
- To develop an in-depth understanding of Islamic rulings related to Halal and Haram food, Medicine and cosmetics in a contemporary context.
- To offer opportunities for those who are working in the food industry and would like to learn the Islamic rulings on Halal food and apply the knowledge in their workplace.
- To educate Sharia Scholars on contemporary issues prevalent in Halal food industry and how to apply the Islamic rulings in a contemporary context.
- To provide a practical Islamic guideline covering contemporary issues such as E-Numbers, Gelatine, genetically modified foods (GMF), use of stunning in slaughtering, using Haram Medicine and Halal certification.
- To discuss Islamic narratives on some of the challenging concepts such as hygienic, animal welfare and food quality.
- To provide a forum and interpersonal contact between Sharia Scholars (Ulamaa), professionals working in the food industry, research scholars and those who are engaged with Halal certification bodies, in order to build a network of support and resource for the future.
By the end of this unique course, students will be able to:
- Gain knowledge and practical skills that will enable them to become better-informed about Islamic perspectives and Islamic Fatawas in relation to halal and haram food, medicine and cosmetics.
- Describe the concept of halal & haram in Islam and explain examples of halal food and non-halal food.
- Demonstrate an understanding of sources of Islamic laws & objectives of shariah, describe principles of halal and haram in Islam and apply the knowledge in
- Explain and discuss food additives related to non-halal issues and describe examples of halal ingredients and non-halal ingredients which are used in the food industry.
- Distinguish the types of Najs and be able to explain basic rituals, cleansing in
- Interpret halal slaughtering concept precisely and discuss pillars & requirements of halal slaughtering for applications in food production.
- Identify and distinguish the corrupt practices prevalent in the Halal food industry and be able to explain the authentic and accepted Islamic rulings and Fatawa.
- Understand the Halal Food Chain and the quality systems related to food processing and production and describe methods of traceability and authentication of halal and haram materials used in the food processing industry.
Learn More About Our Courses?
Discuss your opinion with one of our friendly advisers